Sunday, December 2, 2018

Scoliosis & Genetics: Can 23andMe TESTING Provide Info About Scoliosis? (Part 3 - Test Results)


Scoliosis & Genetics: Can 23andMe TESTING Provide Info About Scoliosis?

PART 3: My Test Results



Overview of my Results

This blog is an overview of my results from the 23andMe Genetic Variant Nutritional Assessment ran and translated to me by ScoliSMART doctor - Dr. Mark Morningstar.  Before I get started here is a quick recap.


 A Quick Recap
I recently watched a video from Dr. Mark Morningstar who explained how there are underlying factors that cause scoliosis to happen, and that scoliosis treatment is about more than just treating the curve.  According to Dr. Morningstar there are gene variations involved with idiopathic scoliosis; specific genes that something can be done about from a functional medicine/therapy perspective.  


I ordered the 23andMe test kit to go through the process of finding out what my genetic information will tell me about my scoliosis.  Once I received my results from 23andMe - I emailed the raw data file to Dr. Mark Morningstar who has 28 genetic variants he looks at directly involved with scoliosis development.  He runs the raw data through his own software program to create a report (about 40 pages long) that measures these genetic variants.  The higher the number of these genetic variants a patient has- the more likely they are to have a progressive form of scoliosis.  I had a phone review with him recently to go over my report.  Here are some things I learned.



Results Overview:

The report itself is based on the DNA that I inherited from my parents.  It’s to help learn what my body may be lacking in the ‘production of antioxidants and other nutrients and molecules needed for health.”  The test says, “Working with a qualified health practitioner, trained in genetic nutrition, allows me a unique ability to customize a nutritional program based upon these individualized results.”

First, I learned that out of the 28 genetic variants Dr. Morningstar looks at for scoliosis – I had 10 of them.  If someone has 7 or more of the variants I’m told they have a 75% chance of developing scoliosis.  We already know I have scoliosis, but for those younger patients taking the test who haven’t developed scoliosis yet – that’s great info to have, in my opinion. 6 of my variants are digestive, and 4 are methylation.  I’ll cover some of my variants below.

NOTE:  METHYLATION is what makes everything work!  According to the report, “The methylation process is a critical one in the body. Methylation turns genes on and off and regulates just about every body function including the rebuilding and repairing of the body. Therefore, it is crucial that you methylate properly.

To methylate properly, we need something called SAMe. The body has a complex mechanism to make it. When SAMe performs its appropriate task, it turns into homocysteine, a substance that needs to be recycled back into SAMe and turned into the master antioxidant, glutathione.

Folate, methyl B12, choline, and the proper function of many enzymes are needed for this process to work properly.” 

The test lists the enzymes and possible variants that can make this process work less optimally. When there are deficiencies, supplementation may be helpful.

Continuing with the overview of my results:

So the purpose of this test is to help identify areas where my DNA may not be working at 100% efficiency, so that changes can be made through supplementation, lifestyle, and diet to provide support and improve my overall health. 

In relation to scoliosis, (from my understanding of the info presented to me) if the genetic variants are left unaddressed it could lead to curve worsening over time.

In Regards to "Digestive", I learned that for the gene MCM6 - both of my parents gave me a less than optimal gene copy to make the enzyme. 

According to the test, “Lactose is a sugar found in milk and dairy products. The MCM6 gene influences the LCT gene which is the gene that provides instructions for making an enzyme called lactase. Lactase breaks down lactose found in milk and dairy products into smaller sugars called glucose and galactose for absorption. The body then absorbs these simpler sugars into the bloodstream. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is caused by gradually decreasing activity of the LCT gene after infancy.

**So, I should probably stay away from dairy.  I have confirmed that both of my parents have an issue with digesting dairy.

Next, from both parents I have variants in the gene that causes the potential for peanut sensitivity.  According to the test, “Studies have shown that peanut allergies are one of the most common food allergies.”

**Probably a good idea for me to stay away from peanuts.

Next, from both of my parents I have variants in the FUT2 enzyme. 

Info in the test in regards to this, “Your intestinal tract contains a vast microbial ecosystem with beneficial bacteria that contribute to immune health, good digestion, neurotransmitter production, generation of important nutrients such as vitamin B12, among other things. Maintaining a healthy intestinal flora is essential for overall body health. This bacterial community depends on prebiotics as a food source to maintain good health and proper balance of the gut flora population. The FUT2 gene is responsible for making these prebiotics.

Variants in the FUT2 enzyme may create a potential for disruptions in the composition of the intestinal flora. The use of antibiotics can be particularly stressful to the gut health of someone with this variant. There is potential for a variety of adverse effects if the intestinal flora becomes disturbed or imbalanced.  Your health care practitioner may want to monitor gut health with this variant, and recommend appropriate support such as supplementation with prebiotics and/or probiotics.”




Some other variants I had were:

ACAT: “Takes both fats and proteins, and turns them into a molecule which is the first step of energy production inside the cell. From a nutritional standpoint, ACAT genetic variants may be the most significant. When the ACAT gene is not doing its job, there may be fatigue from not enough energy production, and inflammation in the body from fats being oxidized.”

**I was told it would be a good idea for me to eat good fats throughout the day instead of all at once.

SOD: “The SOD enzyme makes the very powerful antioxidant superoxide dismutase (SOD). SOD neutralizes the free radical superoxide. Variants on this gene may increase the amount of superoxide radicals, and subsequently may also increase the formation of the nasty oxidative agent, peroxynitrite, another free radical.”

PON1 – “Pesticide use has been increasing over the years, and has become quite controversial.  Our body needs the ability to detox from them and the PON1 (Paraoxonase) gene, along with Glutathione, plays an important role in helping the body clear them.

PON1 (Paraoxonase) plays a large role in removing pesticides. It is also involved with supporting HDL function, crucial for healthy circulation.

The most important gene so far is the first one listed, the PON1 Q192R, however, the rest may play an important role as well.

If you have variants in PON1 Q192R, talk to your health care professional about how a custom designed supplement may support the function of PON1. You may want to eat organic foods as much as possible, and limit exposure to strong chemicals.”

** Was told it would be best to eat produce which has not been sprayed.

Had some variants in MTHFR.

Learned I’m susceptible to being insufficient in B12.  “B12 plays many roles in the body, such as energy creation and iron absorption. Variants in the GIF enzyme may reduce the body's ability to absorb B12, and the TCN1 and TCN2 may impact the transportation of B12. FUT2 variants, as they impact digestion, may impact B12 assimilation.”
“The more variants in this section, the potential higher the need for B12.If there a lot of variants, your health care professional may want to do more testing for B12 status.”




MAOA: “The MAO gene supports the breaking down of Serotonin, Dopamine, and Norepinephrine.  If Serotonin is low, this may be helpful. Under some conditions high Serotonin may create stress.”

COMT:  “The COMT enzyme breaks down dopamine. Variants in this enzyme actually preserve dopamine, increasing its bioavailability. But if dopamine is already too high, it may cause agitation, or difficulty thinking clearly. COMT also plays a role in breaking down some hormones.”

Lastly, BH4“BH4 or tetrahydrobiopterin is a very important molecule. It is needed to make Serotonin, Dopamine, (both for mood), Melatonin (for sleep) and Nitric Oxide for circulation, After BH4 make the neurotransmitters Serotonin and Dopamine, it converts into BH2, then needs to be turned back into BH4. The DHFR and QDPR enzymes are needed for this conversion, while SAMe, NADH and folinic acid are co-factors.  Variants that lower SAMe and the MTHFR A1298C variants may lower what the body needs to make BH4, while variants in DHFR and QDPR may lower the conversion of BH2 to BH4.”



                                           Recommendations

So, at the end of the day what were the recommendations made to help me?
*Avoid dairy, peanuts
*Eat good fats throughout the day instead of all at once
*Eat produce that hasn’t been sprayed with chemicals
*Take B12 supplement
*Take ScoliZyme Supplement
*Take MTHFR Support Supplement



Here’s the info about ScoliZyme as listed on the website:  https://www.scolismartlabs.com/genetics/scolizyme.html/



Acid-Resistant, Vegan-Suitable, Digestive Enzymes
ScoliZyme is a cost-effective, non-prescription, broad-spectrum, digestive enzyme formula suitable for vegans and designed to support the digestion of fat, protein, carbohydrate, fiber, and lactose. This comprehensive formula contains lipase, proteases, alpha-galactosidase, hemicellulase, papain, lactase, and other key digestive enzymes. ScoliZyme works in a wide pH range—unlike porcine pancreatin, which works in a narrow pH range.
DIRECTIONS: Take one to two capsules daily, or use as directed by your healthcare practitioner. If necessary, capsules may be opened and contents sprinkled over food. Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Individuals taking medication should discuss potential interactions with their healthcare practitioner. Do not use if tamper seal is damaged.

STORAGE: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place out of reach of children.

DOES NOT CONTAIN: Wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, or artificial sweeteners. Maltodextrin (derived from corn) is used to standardize enzyme activity.


Here’s the info about MTHFR Support as listed on the website:  https://www.scolismartlabs.com/genetics/mthfr-support/



Published research indicates that the MTHFR enzyme pathway may be genetically altered in the majority of patients with idiopathic scoliosis. This formula helps to support this enzyme pathway in those patients who test positive for the MTHFR variant.



My Thoughts

I feel like the information I got from the testing was beneficial and interesting.  It's really great to have specific information that I can use to decide the best plan for me in regards to diet and supplementation.  The digestive information made perfect sense to me.  I began having digestive issues about 6-7 years ago.  I have since worked with a naturopathic doctor to help me change my diet and add supplements to improve my health and get back to feeling good again.  I do plan to follow the recommendations provided and observe any changes I experience.  




To learn about other testing and supplements available through ScoliSMART you can check out ScoliSMART Labs




ABOUT THIS BLOG & OTHER LINKS

Subscribing to this blog from your phone:  Click on "View web version" at the bottom of the blog and submit your email address at the top of the screen.

Sharing my journey at:

To learn about my scoliosis charity:

Also, I have a YouTube channel and blog called:
ScoliTalk which is interviews with scoliosis patients and doctors.  www.ScoliTalk.com


About Marce Kuhns:
I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 years old.  I tried wearing a hard plastic brace, but stopped due to the pain. I had no other treatment options other than to "watch and wait" to see what happened.  By my early twenties I was experiencing pain and had developed a noticeable postural deformity.  I was very self conscience, and did everything possible to hide my condition - never talking about it!  I visited several doctors throughout the years and was told it was best to just live with it.  This made me feel helpless and fearful for my future.  26 years after my diagnosis I found a rehab based treatment for scoliosis that changed my life!  It eliminated my pain, improved my postural deformity, reduced my curvature by 15 percent, gave me confidence, and eliminated my fear.  To make a statement that I would "Hide No More," I had my back painted and photographed.  This was a huge step for me! 

I began sharing my journey on facebook to spread hope and awareness The Crooked Life.  My pain became my passion! So much so that I left my job of 15 years to start working for the doctor who helped change my life to be apart of helping others with scoliosis.  In addition, my husband and I recently started a charity The Crooked Life Foundation to provide Scoliosis Activity Suits to patients who are unable to afford them.  Providing HOPE is my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment