Saturday, October 6, 2018

Scoliosis & Genetics: Can 23andMe TESTING Provide Info About Scoliosis? (Part 2)


Scoliosis & Genetics: Can 23andMe TESTING Provide Info About Scoliosis?


PART 2

Below you'll find Step by Step instructions on what I had to do to submit my Raw Data File to Dr. Morningstar once receiving my results from 23andMe.  Once going through these steps Dr. Morningstar's office calls to schedule a time to go over the report.  I'm told the call is about 1 hour - mine was scheduled in November.

A Quick Recap

I recently watched a video from Dr. Mark Morningstar who explained how there are underlying factors that cause scoliosis to happen, and that scoliosis treatment is about more than just treating the curve.  According to Dr. Morningstar there are gene variations involved with idiopathic scoliosis; specific genes that something can be done about from a functional medicine/therapy perspective.  

I recently ordered the 23andMe test kit to go through the process of finding out what my genetic information will tell me about my scoliosis.  I have recently received my results from 23andMe, and emailed the raw data file to Dr. Mark Morningstar who has about 28 genetic variants he will look at directly involved with scoliosis development.  He runs the raw data through his own software program to create a report (about 40 pages long) that will measure these genetic variants.  The higher the number of these genetic variants a patient has- the more likely they are to have a progressive form of scoliosis.  I've scheduled a phone review to go over my report with him which will take place in November.

23andMe has 2 testing options - one is $99, and the other $199.  You get the raw DNA data file no matter which test you buy, so you can get the cheaper one for this purpose.  They sometimes have discounts.  I was able to purchase my kit on sale for $69.99.  Then it's $99 for Dr. Mark Morningstar to generate his report and go over it with you.  SPECIAL NOTE: However, Dr. Morningstar recently announced that he would generate the report and do the phone review for a $50 donation to Ireland's Dream.  To take advantage of this opportunity one must email drmorningstar@scolismart.com and ask for him to email an invoice to you to make the contribution.  

In Part 1 of my blog I recorded the process from start to finish of me taking the 23andMe test, and highlighted some of their terms to see what's involved.


 PART 2

Here's the Step by Step instructions to submit my Raw Data File to Dr. Morningstar once receiving my results from 23andMe.  After going through these steps Dr. Morningstar's office called me to schedule a time to go over my report.  I'm told the call is about 1 hour - mine is scheduled in November.  

Step 1:  It took 40 days after mailing my kit to receive my results from 23andMe.  Once my results were ready I received an email.  I clicked on "View My Results," then it prompted me to sign into my 23andMe account.  





Step 2: Once signed in:
I clicked on the "Search" button - it's to the right of "Buy Kits".  



Step 3:  In the "Search" box I typed - "Raw Data" (as shown below), and clicked on "Download Your Raw Data".  





Step 4:  I then read the following information, scrolled to the bottom, and clicked "Submit Request".  





Step 5:  This note is then populated on the screen.  


Step 6:  Once my Raw Data File was ready (only took a matter of minutes), I received an email notification.  There was a link to click which took me to another screen to download my raw data.




Step 7:  Then I clicked on "Download Raw Data" and saved it.  As stated below, once you've downloaded your raw data, you are responsible for it's storage and security.  


Step 8:  Now I needed to get my Raw Data to Dr. Morningstar.  I emailed Dr. Morningstar (drmorningstar@scolismart.com) my Raw Data file. I included my phone number in the email. He in turn sent me an email asking me to login and sign a consent form giving the software permission to run my data file.  I also received a second email with a pin to use to register and use the Client Portal. This must be completed on a desk top computer as the site is not designed for mobile devices.


Step 9:  Once I logged into the Client Portal I Signed/Accepted the Consent Form, and logged out.




Step 10:  After Step 9 was completed I waited to be contacted by Dr. Morningstar's office to schedule my phone review of the report.  I received a call 2 days later to schedule it.  The soonest appointment was in November.

I hope this helps!  Can't wait to learn my results!


To learn about other testing and supplements available through ScoliSMART you can check out ScoliSMART Labs





ABOUT THIS BLOG & OTHER LINKS

Subscribing to this blog from your phone:  Click on "View web version" at the bottom of the blog and submit your email address at the top of the screen.

Sharing my journey at:

To learn about my scoliosis charity:

Also, I have a YouTube channel and blog called:
ScoliTalk which is interviews with scoliosis patients and doctors.  www.ScoliTalk.com


About Marce Kuhns:
I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 years old.  I tried wearing a hard plastic brace, but stopped due to the pain. I had no other treatment options other than to "watch and wait" to see what happened.  By my early twenties I was experiencing pain and had developed a noticeable postural deformity.  I was very self conscience, and did everything possible to hide my condition - never talking about it!  I visited several doctors throughout the years and was told it was best to just live with it.  This made me feel helpless and fearful for my future.  26 years after my diagnosis I found a rehab based treatment for scoliosis that changed my life!  It eliminated my pain, improved my postural deformity, reduced my curvature by 15 percent, gave me confidence, and eliminated my fear.  To make a statement that I would "Hide No More," I had my back painted and photographed.  This was a huge step for me! 

I began sharing my journey on facebook to spread hope and awareness The Crooked Life.  My pain became my passion! So much so that I left my job of 15 years to start working for the doctor who helped change my life to be apart of helping others with scoliosis.  In addition, my husband and I recently started a charity The Crooked Life Foundation to provide Scoliosis Activity Suits to patients who are unable to afford them.  Providing HOPE is my heart!



No comments:

Post a Comment