Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I Will Hide No More - Overcoming the Emotional Scars of Scoliosis!

What's the secret to overcoming the emotional pain and scars of scoliosis?  I'm going to share with you how I was able to come out of hiding, have confidence with my curve, and do the thing that's always terrified me the most - exposing my back to the world. I found a body artist and photographers to help me make a statement - I Will Hide No More!  


                                                        Artist: Kristi Darby
                                              Photographed by: Kelly Jackson

After going to great lengths to hide my scoliosis for over 20 years - this day I stood up and decided to make a statement.  I will be confident with my curve while I strive for correction.  I will raise my voice and share my story in hopes that it will help others.


The artist Kristi Darby described the symbolism in the painting perfectly, "The tree represents her back, but also her spirit: twisted and crooked, but strong, determined, and deeply rooted.  The blossoms represent a new awakening in her body and mind.  The dove represents her spirit, but in a different way - a way of freedom as it takes flight.  This is a reflection of how far she's come with her treatment.  The dove holds a special branch which represents the chiropractor who's been by her side through the journey, and the sash around the tree is the name of her blog, where she's journaled the entire process."

Here's a video sharing how I overcame:


Written by: Marce Kuhns



 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment